Task 1. Germany attacked the Soviet Union at the dawn of June 22, 1941. There were severe battles during the Great World War. Match the event and the date.
|1. Beginning of the Great Patriotic War
||a. 9 May 1945
|2. Liberation of major cities of the Soviet Union
||b. June — July, 1942
|3. Moscow battle
||c. July — August, 1943
|4. Battle of the Arc of Kursk
||d. 22 June 1941
|5. Stavropol battle
|6. The end of Great Patriotic War
||f. December, 1941
|7. Stalingrad battle
||g. July — February, 1942 — 1943
Task 2. Choose from the list below the names of Great Patriotic War’s remarkable heroes:
Task 3. Choose the right word to complete the text (fragment of «ACT OF MILITARY SURRENDER»): sea, Army, High, Russian, Surrender, Red, forces, military, drawn, Command.
ACT OF MILITARY SURRENDER
We the undersigned, acting by authority of the German High Command, hereby surrender unconditionally to the Supreme Commander, Allied Expeditionary Force and simultaneously to the Supreme High Command of the Army all forces on land, at , and in the air who are at this date under German control.
The German Command will at once issue order to all German , naval and air authorities and to all forces under German control to cease active operations at 2301 hours Central European time on 8th May 1945, to remain in all positions occupied at that time and to disarm completely, handing over their weapons and equipment to the local allied commanders or officers designated by Representatives of the Allied Supreme Commands. No ship, vessel, or aircraft is to be scuttled, or any damage done to their hull, machinery or equipment, and also to machines of all kinds, armament, apparatus, and all the technical means of prosecution of war in general.
The German High will at once issue to the appropriate commanders, and ensure the carrying out of any further orders issued by the Supreme Commander, Allied Expeditionary Force and by the Supreme Command of the Red .
This act of military surrender is without prejudice to, and will be superseded by any general instrument of surrender imposed by, or on behalf of the United Nations and applicable to GERMANY and the German armed as a whole.
In the event of the German High Command or any of the forces under their control failing to act in accordance with this Act of , the Supreme Commander, Allied Expeditionary Force and the Supreme High Command of the Red Army will take such punitive or other action as they deem appropriate.
This Act is up in the English, and German languages. The English and Russian are the only authentic texts.
Task 4. Quiz «75th Anniversary of Victory»
1. Stalin refused to believe that Hitler would break the German Soviet No-Aggression Pact signed in ________ by Molotov and Ribbentrop.
a) February 1938
b) August 1939
c) July 1939
d) June 1, 1939
2. The length of the Soviet – German front was ___________.
a) 1000000 km
b) 6000 km
c) 10000 km
d) 9000 km
3. In the first weeks of the war over 1000 Soviet aircrafts ____________ on the ground; whole armies ____________.
a) were destroyed
b) had been destroyed
d) was destroyed
e) encircled and captured
f) are encircled and captured
g) were encircled and captured
h) had been encircled and captured
4. Hitler boasted that he would smash the Soviet Union in _________.
a) 3-4 weeks
b) 3-4 weeks
c) 5-6 weeks
d) 5-6 months
5. On July 3, Stalin _________ the nation by radio.
6. Stalin’s __________ was addressed directly to Russian patriotism and religion.
7. Young and aged __________ to be sent to the front.
8. On October 2, 1941, Army Group Centre under Fedor von Bock launched its attack against Moscow itself, code-named __________.
a) «Operation Hurricane»
b) «Operation Typhoon»
c) «Operation Gale»
d) «Operation Storm»
9. On October 10, _________ took charge of the Western front and the defence of Moscow.
a) Alexander Vasilevsky
b) Ivan Konev
c) Leonid Govorov
d) Georgi Zhukov
10. In September, 1942 great fights for __________ started.
11. 1944 was rather __________ for Soviet army.
12. A number of cities such as Leningrad, Odessa, Kerch, the Crimea _________ from Nazi troops.
a) were captured
b) was liberated
c) were surrounded
d) was evacuated
13. The most severe and the most heroic battle took place in April – May, 1945 for _______.
14. The war ended in Europe with the _________ of Germany on May 8, 1945.